Thursday, September 30, 2010

Stalker? Me?

I have had a few embarrassing moments in my life.  I've forgotten most of them. I only remember the really horrifying ones. If you want to read how I put my foot in my mouth, read here.  Or, you can check out here for another red-faced moment. But, this story may possibly be one of my most embarrassing moments. I can't believe I'm going to share this, but here goes...


This unfortunate event happend many years ago. It happened on the last day of VBS (Vacation Bible School), which was on a Thursday night. Hubby had stopped by the church building for some reason, which is now forgotten. As Jennee, my Amazing Daughter, and I were getting in the car to leave, the last words he said to me were, "I'll see you at home."


(Oh dear, I'm starting to sweat...but I think it could be a hot flash! One moment please while I fan myself.) OK. Now, where was I? Hubby was in his pick-up truck and pulled out of the parking lot, and we were right behind him. (Remember, I said it was dark out.) Surprisingly, Hubby turned off on a different road, which happens to lead to Bob Evans restaurant.


"Well, he never said anything about going there." Translation: If he's going for dessert, I'm going too! (But, why is he going for dessert?)


Jennee said, "Mom, are you sure that's Dad?"


"Of course, it is. He was right in front of us."


We came to Bob Evans--and drove right past it. "Well, that's weird. Where is he going?"


Jennee said, "Are you sure that's Dad?"


"Of course, it is. He was right in front of us. But, where is he going? Oh, I know. He must have to do an estimate for some gutters."


So, we continue following, this turn, then that turn. When he turns into the driveway, I sit at the end of the street. It would be silly and unprofessional for us to pull in behind him while he's giving an estimate.


For some reason, it didn't occur to me that it was too dark to give an estimate. But, as we were waiting, Jennee again said, "Mom, are you sure that's Dad?"


"Of course it is. He was right in front of us."


I watched as "Hubby" got out of the truck, then got back in and started backing out of the driveway. I was a bit confused. What's he doing?


Again, Jennee with her crazy question.


He pulled out, and I calmly started following. Then he pulled over to the side, and I fell in right behind him.


It was at that point that I noticed the logo on the back of this truck was different than the one I remembered seeing--and there seemed to be a woman sitting in the passenger side.


OHhhhhhhhhhh Crrrrrraaaaaaaaaap!!!! "Jennee, why didn't you say something???"  


So, at this point a couple of different scenerios were racing through my head.
1) Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were my husband, and I thought you/he was going out for dessert with out me.  
No, that didn't sound good.


2) I thought you were my husband and I wanted to see where he was going.
No, too stalkish.


In the end, I couldn't think of a logical explanation that didn't make me sound like a fruit cake, so before he got out of his truck, I quickly sped away.


I felt kind of bad, because they had no explanation on why some woman was stalking them. But, it was either put their fears at ease or save face. I chose to save face.


When we finally got home, Hubby said, "Where have you been?" 
"It's a long story, and I don't wanna talk about it."  Of course, Jennee was more than happy to provide every little detail.  


I still, to this day, don't know how that truck got between me and hubby.    I wonder how his story goes.

5 comments:

  1. Haha I love this story and it is one of my clearer childhood memories. And you thought you didn't have an impact on my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is HILARIOUS!

    I don't know what's wrong with my mind, but I started imagining that this guy's wife had suspected him of cheating for awhile and then she sees you and thinks you must be his girlfriend and then they get into a huge fight.

    That couple could be divorced now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did wonder if it made for an awkward moment for that couple! (Hopefully, it didn't cause any problems!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I understand...

    In high school I followed another girl around (thinking she was my best friend) one morning. I wasn't really paying attention until she stopped to talk and I saw her face. It took my best friend some time to forgive me for that one.

    Hope you can laugh about it now. We do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...