Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Try it, You'll like it! Tuesday

Disclaimer: I'm going to try, try, try to have a regular Tuesday post to feature recipes that I enjoy eating. This is going to take a lot of discipline and planning, and obviously, regular posting. These are not necessarily my best traits, but I'm willing to give it a shot. So, bear with me, and don't judge me too harshly, if I don't make it every Tuesday.


I do enjoy making things to eat, but the reason for going to all the trouble of making something is because I like to eat practically anything that will not eat me first!


Oh, and also, my favorite things to make usually meet two critieria--it's quick and easy. (Tasty, too, but that goes without saying!)


With that being said,  here is how I make Eggplant Parmesan. This is the first recipe I ever tried for Eggplant Parmesan, and I love it! I'm not exactly sure what makes it so delicious. It may be the fresh tomato taste, or all the fresh basil. Or, possibly the fresh Parmesan cheese. All that "freshness" is just sooo good. I found this recipe in "Eat, Cheat and Melt Away the Fat" by Suzanne Somers


Eggplant Parmesan
1 recipe Sweet Tomato Sauce (follows)
1 large eggplant, sliced thin
1-2 eggs
1-2 Tbsp. milk
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound mozzarella, thinly sliced or shredded
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves


Mix milk and egg together in shallow dish to make an egg wash. In a seperate dish, put Parmesan cheese. (I will also mix some "canned" parmesan, just to stretch out the fresh.) Dip eggplant slices first into egg wash, then into  parmesan cheese.


 Heat oil in a skillet and fry eggplant slices till nicely browned. 





Spoon several tablespoons of the Sweet Tomato Sauce into a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Layer eggplant over the sauce. 


Add another layer of Sauce, then mozzarella cheese, more Parmesan cheese, if desired. Continue layering like you would lasagna. Top with sauce, mozzeralla cheese, and sprinkle with fresh basil.
Bake 30-40 minutes until cheese is bubbling in 375 degree oven. Let cool about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Sweet Tomato Sauce
(Make this first!)
1 large onion
8 fresh ripe tomatoes (I use Romas or plum tomatoes)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic


Chop onion in food processor until finely minced. Heat a skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onions and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. While onions are cooking, coarsley chop tomatoes in the food processor. After onions have been cooked, add chopped tomatoes, and reduce heat. Simmer 30 - 45 minutes until sauce thickens a little.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of eggplant parmesan, but I have to admit that it looks yummy! Wish I could taste yours...I'd probably like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks amazingly delicious! I wonder if I could get my husband to eat eggplant?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...