Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Hostess with the Mostest

Warning! Warning!
bobgreiner.tripod.com


This blog is about food.


Last month I was at a loss for inspiration. This month, I have a few blogs in my head, but have been too busy to get them out! I can't decide if I should back track and get further behind, or start with what's most current then go backwards. 


November is my birthday month! heehee. I only say that because it drives Hubby crazy. He barely recognizes one day, so I love to declare November as MY month, just to watch him roll his eyes. 


However, I will wait and tell you about my birthday, and instead show you my Hostessness. Yeah, I just made up that word. I like typing ssss!


I am part of a bunko group, and last night was my turn to host. The hostess has to buy prizes, and prepare a lovely meal. In truth, my hostess abilities pale in comparison to most of the other bunko "babes" (as we like to call ourselves), but this is how it went last night.


Jennee helped me out by making her specialty, sweet potato burritoes. I know it sounds weird, but trust me, they are yummy. I don't have actual amounts, because it's all "to taste", but here is the gist of it: Mashed sweet potatoes, with cumin, salt, garlic powder; grilled onions, black beans, (drained and rinsed), cheddar cheese, and pepper jack cheese. Layer it in the burrito, then brown in the skillet. Serve with sour cream and salsa.



 We also have a very easy, yet delicious salad. I use spinach and Romaine lettuce, add craisins (dried cranberries), and sunflower seeds, serve with poppy seed dressing. It doesn't get any easier than that. Sometimes we add grilled chicken to it, and presto-chango, it becomes a meal!


And dessert was peach cobbler. I saw this idea from another blog (sorry, I don't remember which one, but it's a great idea!) Single servings baked into little half-pint jars. So cute. I left plenty of room at the top to allow for a scoop of ice cream.


 The recipe I used comes from The Barefoot Contessa,(Peach and Raspberry Crisp) but I make it without the raspberries. This recipe makes the perfect topping. Crunchy and delicious. I like a little peach with my crisp.


Here is my version:


2 to 2 1/2 quart jars of canned peaches
1 orange, zested
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups plus 2-3 TBSP. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup oatmeal (I like to use old-fashioned oatmeal)
1 stick cold butter
1/2 cup hardened coconut oil


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Drain peaches and place in large bowl. Add orange zest, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 2 TBSP flour. Toss well. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes. If there is a lot of liquid, and 1 more TBSP flour (I usually do). Divide peaches into jars, or pour into a buttered baking dish. 


Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, salt, oatmeal, and cold, diced butter and coconut oil in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the butter is pea-sized and the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly on top of the peaches. (This makes a lot, pile it on thick! If using individual jars, leave about 1 1/2 inch head space, to allow for the ice cream.) For 9x13, bake for 1 hour, until top is browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. For the jars, I think I baked them about 30 minutes. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge.


I forgot to get pictures of my prizes, but I found some really cute decorative bird houses at JoAnn Fabrics (on sale! whoo hoo!). Too bad I didn't have any of those cute birdhouses made out of gourds!


Everything turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. 




16 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea, wish I could attend one of these events :) Great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you do entertain! Hostessness is all YOU! I love the dessert in a jar, so pretty and I'm sure delicious!
    Bunco Babes indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, what a wonderful and yummy evening you all must have had! This all looks great and so special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following back. Appreciate it. The family will enjoy this recipe.
    Ohio Outdoors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy. At my house, dessert in a jar would work out great,less spillage to clean up. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna come play. I don't know how but sounds like your having a blast! I really want to try that cobbler. mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your idea for serving the cobbler is a creative one - especially like that you leave room for the ice cream! Sweet potato burritos are sure a new one I've never heard of, will have to try it sometime. Seems that the black beans really match with the sweet potatoes. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nummer Nummer Nummer!!! I want to play bunko at your house!!! I suck at it - it I win - I win for the lowest score - but it's soooo much fun!

    Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just when I was about the comment, our power went out! Three and a half hours later...

    And I had something quite clever in mind too. Dang it. LOL

    Anyway, it looks fantastic! And happy birthday month to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oy, I'm still full because everything tasted so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sweet potatoes, and I love burritos, so I'm intrigued by the combo. Your meal sounds delicious.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Happy Birthday November :0. Thank you for commenting on my blog. It is nice to meet you.
    I love this post the first picture brought me back to a time when I was a kid watching that on TV. Thank you good memories.
    I love the peach cobbler idea and I really want one of those burritos right now. Sounds like everyone had a great time. Boy I am really hungry now. TTYL. B

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to be in a Bunco group many years ago. They are a lot of fun and I do sometimes miss it. You are truly a great hostess to have provided such a great meal. I know some who barely provided chips and dip. I would have been grubbing up those burritos and been trying to sneak some of those dessert jars home. A really great idea that you found and are sharing with us. I guess I need to find some of those jars. Maybe someday I might even feel like canning, well maybe not, but I like to think that I might.

    Thanks for sharing the recipes, I love recipes.

    I know what you mean about the gourds, because for some reason I keep thinking that I want to try and carve one, well if I can find the carving kit someone gave to hubby.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmh. That cobbler sounds really good. I happen to have about 40 jars of home-canned peaches so I think I'm going to have to try this out. And the idea of having it in individual jars is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love bunko night! I love the sweet potato burrito idea and the peach crisp baked in jars! Yum!
    p.s. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...