Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Penicillin, Anyone?

Technically, we did not get snowed in last night, but we did accumulate another six inches of the white stuff. It has been snowing all day, and again, more accumulation, but I don't know how much.  I keep watching the snow pile up on the neighbor's roof.  It's getting pretty high, I must say.  I probably should be outside doing a little shoveling instead of blogging, but, it's a lot warmer in here!

So, for some unknown reason, I was inspired to clean out my refrigerator.  I'm rarely inspired to participate in this very un-fun job, but, inspired I was.  Maybe it was due to the re-arranging and consolidation of the pickles and sauerkraut the other day.  Maybe it was due to the fact that my fridge is relatively empty right now, and I can actually see the buildup on the shelves.  Maybe it was just because it's snowing outside.  Whatever the reason, I decided to not fight it, and get busy with the tedious job of emptying all the shelves, wiping them out, going through all the food, and putting the good stuff back in the fridge.

I am sad to say that yes I did, indeed, discover that I was growing penicillin.  Apparently, a month is too long to keep spaghetti sauce.  But, I am happy to say it is no longer in my fridge.  I even did something I've never attempted before. I actually put labels (I can't even believe I did this) on the racks in the door, in an attempt to keep things more organized.  The bottom rack is for salad dressings, the middle rack is for condiments, and the top rack is for jams, ice cream toppings and yeast.  I will be curious to see how long that lasts!!

Thanks to a helpful hint from Rachel Ray, I've washed all my romaine lettuce, wrapped it in paper towels, and put it in a green bag so it will last longer.  Now, it will be all ready when I need to make a salad.  I also came across another helpful hint.  In order to help celery last longer, wrap it in aluminum foil. I had never heard of that before.  But, I washed my celery (which I've had so long that it is starting to go limp), wrapped it with a paper towel, then wrapped it in foil.  I'm curious to see the results on that. I have discovered that it is very helpful to have all the produce washed and ready to go.  It's a bit of a pain, coming home from the grocery store, and having to wash everything, but, I'm always glad I took that step when it's time to start chopping the veggies.

1 comment:

  1. Look at you actin' all grown up!

    I love the labels. You know how I love keeping things organized.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...