Monday, February 13, 2012

Origins Blogfest





Welcome to "Origins" blog hop. Today's post is to be about how we became writers. I have to say, I feel like I'm crashing the party, and someone will be asking me to leave very shortly. I don't consider myself a "Writer" at all, but here's the story of how I got here.


Way back in 1955 I was born, and there was no pencil in my hand. (Don't worry, this won't be a long story!) Fast forward to the 70's and high school English and expository writing classes. Yuck. Pure torture. We would be given a topic and told to start writing. Pencils flying on papers all around me, while I stared at a blank sheet of paper, trying to conjure up one creative thought.


However, I did like to journal, or as we used to call it, write in our diary...Dear Diary, and I was an avid letter writer. People always enjoyed my letters because "you write like you talk". Ohh Kay. But doesn't everybody? My mom tried to encourage me to write, and used to say that I could be the next Erma Bombeck. Blush. Thank you, Mom. But, I always brushed it off saying, there was nothing to write about.


Then, maybe 15 or 20 years ago (my gosh does time fly!!) I started writing  Christmas letters. The recipients always seemed to love them. I almost gave it up because of the bad press of the dreaded Christmas letter. But, I was assured that my letters were "fun".


Now, here I am blogging about this pitiful little journey. My Amazing Daughter sat me down at the computer two years ago (or was it three?) no, I think it was two, and said, "You are going to blog."  
"What's there to blog about? And, why do I want to?"


"Just do it. It's like writing a diary. And, since your memory is so bad, it might help you to remember things that happen." 


So, here I am, just plugging away, attempting to find and share humor in our little hum-drum lives.  An added plus is all the wonderful friends I have made through blogging. Yes, I am talking about YOU! 


Next week, I promise (fingers crossed & if things go according to plan!) to give a Project 52 report. I've been a terrible slacker so far this year, as far as blogging and goals go, but my excuse is that we are getting ready to move.


15 comments:

  1. I was expecting a story about the scarred cat! Still, I'm glad you've decided to start blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story. I too started with a blog. Thank goodness for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi lady. I'm having a good eye day and decided to come visit. This blog fest is everywhere today. I'm not sure when I decided to start writing or why. It's just what I have always done. I hope things are going well for you. If my eye's hold out I'll be back soon. Big hugs and thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have written in a Diary/ journal for as long as I can remember. I love to go back and read my thoughts as a child. alot of times it reminds me of people I have long forgotten.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved reading Erma Bombeck's stories! It's great that your mom encouraged you and even better that your Amazing Daughter gave you a push! So glad to have met you through the blogfest! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. awe, sounds like you have an awesome daughter and she was write to push you to write! Thanks so much for sharing your origins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Darlene. I'm just stopping by as one of the blogfest co-hosts, and am now your newest follower. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an ORIGIN story...pure and simple! And I should know, I've read over 125 of them so far. Keep it up! Thank you for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE YOUR WRITING! I'm so glad I met you through blogging, Darlene. You have one of the loveliest styles of self expression and it does always feel as though you're having a conversation with us. You engage your reader so easily and have a delicious sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, a we share the same birth year. I wish I looked half as good as you though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Darlene!
    A bit tough to get to 214 people in one day, so I'm sorry for the late visit. You've always been writer and it shows in this Origins post. Thanks for sharing your story.

    your newest follower,
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, girl, guess who's back!

    I am glad you started blogging as your writing always gives me a lift, not to mention the warmth I experience when reading your comments on my blog. Thanks for sticking around....kt

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had a diary since I was 11 or 12. I Think It'so so cool that your Daughter showed you the way to Blogging! and you are great at it.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading these posts, it makes you realize how important.They really do light the spark and inspire us. Thanks for sharing your origins story!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...