Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Decking the halls...but not with holly

My Christimas shopping is done, which is nothing short of a miracle! My house is somewhat, sorta, kinda decorated. And, by decorated, I mean that I have my Santa collection out in public.


I collected Santas for about 15 years, and then I decided that I had more than enough. I might still be tempted to add some new Santas, but they will have to be pretty darn unique.


My Santas have been in storage for about two years, while Hubby and I try to decide where and when we are going to settle. Two years ago, we were busy driving from North Carolina to Indiana, doing some work for our brother-in-law. We spent Christmas "house sitting" for our niece in Ohio. Then, after we sold our house (in NC) a mere year after we bought it, we moved back to Ohio, and rented from Hubby's sister. She had planned to sell her house, so we knew we would not be staying very long, so we didn't unpack "unnecessary" items. 


But, here we are, still here. The house has been taken off the market for now, and we have somewhat settled in. And, since we're somewhat settled, I decided to unpack the Christmas stuff.


Did you know that the American version of Santa Claus is due to Clement C. Moore, and Coca-Cola? Clement C. Moore, author of        " 'Twas the Night before Christmas" described Santa as being jolly and round, with twinkling eyes and rosy cheeks. But,it was Haddon Sundblom, a commercial illustrator for Coke, who gave Santa his red clothes. Before 1931, Santa could be tall, thin, short, or fat, and wearing a variety of colors. From 1931 to 1964, Sundblom gave us the Santa that we know today. And, aren't we glad he did?


Coca-Cola Santa, 1943
So here are some of my Santas.



My pretty plate toppled over and broke into a million pieces. 
It made me sad.



The one that started it all!

Some favorites


My blue Santa

"Rover" (named by our granddaughter) is also joining
 the festivities!
The Christmas tree will be coming once our granddaughter, Sweetie Pie, arrives. After that, we should be all set for Santa to arrive.
This has been a staple since 1983!




4 comments:

  1. I just realized last night that we didn't have a tree. I thought something felt off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! How many Santa's do you have? And who wouldn't love a season appropriate suit of armor?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...