Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas is coming, but the decorations are not going up yet!

December has finally arrived. We received our first snowfall of the season--and it is still too early for me! The skies are gray, and the wind is blowing the snow helter-skelter everywhere. I would much prefer blue skies, sunshine, and warm weather, but, that's not happening in northeastern Ohio at this time of year.


We have a very out-spoken rule at our house: No displays of Christmas, not even Christmas music, until after December 8.  The reason? Amazing Daughter's birthday is December 8, and she does not want to see anything Christmas-y, until after her birthday. She was quite young when she announced that this would be the new rule. Apparently, December babies feel like they've been gypped somehow, by being born in December. Sometimes, certain December babies can get quite cranky about it.


I mentioned something to her yesterday that I needed to locate all the Christmas stuff. She gave me the Evil Eye. (I was just messin' with her, and I wanted to see if the "rule" still applies.  It does!) So, we will be waiting until December 9 to put up our decorations.


However, one thing that she does not have control over, is my Christmas Cactus.  I'm very excited to see the buds forming, and I hope to have lots of blooms by Christmas.


My Christmas Cactus was given to me four years ago by a friend. She was moving to Florida, and did not want to take it with her. But, since I've had it, we have lived in five different places, from Ohio to North Carolina to Ohio. At one point, I wasn't sure if my Christmas Cactus would survive--it was touch and go for a while.


But, I've learned that it is a pretty hardy plant, and it seems to be thriving in its new spot.


I did a little checking to see what makes Christmas Cactus happy.
They don't like to be over-watered. When the soil feels dry, water throughly, but make sure there is good drainage. They also like to be hydrated. I have mine sitting in two pots, one that is shorter than the other. That way, the water drains out, but can evaporate back up into it. They also do not like direct sunlight. And, to get the most abundant blooms, they like to have total darkness for 12-14 hours everynight, starting in October. They also like cooler temperatures, around 50 degrees F. Mine seems to be doing OK at about 63 degrees.


I'm glad I discovered this information, because I was doing everything wrong!  Now, I hope to have lots of beautiful blooms at Christmas. 


3 comments:

  1. I hope it blooms in a big way. They're so pretty! Happy Birthday to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, your daughter's blog is so lovely.
    Happy Birthday to her!
    Can't wait to see your Xmas decoration. I'm sure it'll be beautiful!

    What a sweet post, Darlene! :)
    I really enjoyed it. The cactus looks beautiful;
    Love the photo.
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your daughter, Darlene. I can imagine how she feels about keeping her birthday and Christmas separate ...
    Your cactus looks lovely - hope you'll post some pics of the blooms.
    Lovely to visit your blog again - I haven't been here in a while.
    Sunshine xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...